Saturday, May 14, 2016

The Great War of Words: Thoughts on The Transgender Bathroom Debate


Lately things have been kind of difficult for me. I've had some tense situations at the school I teach at, where I was awkwardly confronted by a couple different students who had googled my name. Of course, both of these instances occurred in front of entire classes of students which created a great deal of drama--think panic attacks on my part. These instances forced me to come out to my administrator, which ended up being great but it caused even more anxiety. On top of all that, I'm so sick of being constantly bombarded by the war over bathrooms and transgender individuals. 

Seriously, hearing the constant harangue against transgender individuals hurts a lot. I'm tired of hearing that I'm merely deluded, that I'm crazy, and that I'm less than human because of feelings that I have. This pain has been taking its toll on me, which has given me a chance to really consider why I find it so hard. I've had a lot of chances lately to think about fear; because deep down inside, if I'm being honest with myself, I live in a world filled with fear. 

I'm afraid. I'm afraid of being misunderstood, afraid of being confronted for being different, afraid of not being seen as good enough. I'm afraid of being labeled crazy. I'm even afraid of not even being seen as a real person. 

At the heart of these fears is the issue of self-identification. I constantly see the idea of self-identification as being mocked, ridiculed, and derided as simply absurd. Just this morning in regards to a news story addressing the bathroom issue, I saw the mocking question, "Well what if I felt like I was cow; would you respect my right to be treated as a cow?"

Now I can't really speak to or answer any of the questions revolving around self-identification. It's a confusing question, and I get that nothing about it seems logical. In the end, all I can do is share my experience. On a deep and fundamental level I feel female. You might call this self-identification, but to me it just is. That single fact lies at the very foundation of my life. I can't run away from it, I can't hide from it, and I'm constantly reminded of it. I tried running away from it and spent years desperately trying to pray these feelings away and deny them a place in my life. I tried confronting it and spent years in therapy before I accepted the fact that these feelings were never going to change. And I've spent years trying to come to a place of acceptance and balance in my life. At this point, I haven't socially transitioned, I don't demand that particular pronouns be used, and I don't demand to be treated as a female. But that doesn't change the fact that near the very center of my identity are my feelings of being female.

Because this feeling is so fundamentally a part of me, I consider my feelings of a feminine identity nearly sacred. I mean, surely God gave me these feelings for a reason. This is a defining part of who I am. Nearly everything in my life has been shaped through the lens of gender dysphoria.

The current dialogue revolves not so much around actions but around my very sense of identity, which isn't ever going to change. This really hurts. So much of the work I have been trying to do revolves around accepting yourself. That it's ok to have gender dysphoria, that there isn't shame, that in the end you have the freedom to choose how you would like to live your life, and that there are lots of different paths that you can follow. I feel like this open moderate road I've been trying to build is being trampled on and destroyed.

Now this may feel like a harangue against conservatives, but it isn't. Progressives have their own way of discarding any middle roads. After I came out to a close, quite progressive friend, this individual asked me which pronoun I would prefer, which in general is a really empowering thoughtful question. I responded that I try not to make pronouns a big deal, but if they really wanted to know female pronouns certainly make me feel more comfortable since male pronouns are quite triggering. The response I got still shocks me. I was told that once I transitioned they would happily use female pronouns. I felt like I was being pressured to just 'accept' who I really was and transition. Only then would I earn the right to be accepted.

I find myself often feeling crushed between these two competing ideologies. On one hand I'm told to just accept reality: biology says I'm male so I can't have any kind of female identity. On the other hand, I'm told to just accept reality: my identity is who I am and I just need to transition and accept myself. I realize that in every sense that I am biologically male, and I know perfectly well that I feel female. Yet, everyone seems to think that they need to tell me exactly how to live my life. Why can't I be allowed to choose who I would like to be?

I guess the concluding point I would like to make is that there are certainly plenty of places surrounding transgender issues that we as society need to have a conversation. There are ethical questions that need to be navigated by all sides. A real conversation needs to occur. But the one thing that we aren't equipped to discuss is my individual identity, or anyone else's. The one thing we can say is that they are children of God who deserve our love and need us to help them find a middle road where they are free to make their own choices and rid themselves of self-hatred and debilitating shame. 

So in your internet journeys, when things get heated, remember those of us trying to find a middle road. We aren't trying to upend society or force you to change. We are merely trying to keep on living while avoiding getting crushed by the war of words currently engulfing our nation.



9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this lovely post. We need to always remember the very real human consequences and treat each other as we would like to be treated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Arlo you do things that make it easier for me to step up and be brave. I was raised by dad and brothers for the most part. By the time I was 9 I had no guidance on how to be female. I was raised by my dad and brothers pretty much so I identify with male thinking. I have laerned to be happy with my body even though I really wanted to be like my brothers. The change in thinking really happened the first time I really loved someone. I was 12. He was 14. We would ride bikes, horses, go hiking, help older neighbors and talk. The best thing was that we could just be together without all the fear of worring about who is afraid to be who they are. We were truely kids. As I grew older I realized that I adored my father and brothers unlike any human beings ever. Then I realized that I am a young woman and I get to really love a man when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for this. I think it will really help some trans folks I know who are also looking for some middle road. I'm so sorry you were outted that way. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Friend! I love this so much! You are a beautiful soul (all the pieces of you). I particularly love, "I consider my feelings of a feminine identity nearly sacred. I mean, surely God gave me these feelings for a reason. This is a defining part of who I am." Gorgeously said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. once again, your writing is thoughtful, precise, and full of heart. I am in a similar situation, not socially transitioning, but aware of God's love. Where do I stand on the "bathroom issue?" Usually in front of a urinal, but decidedly hoping to avoid the war of words and polemics that are being generated in the current political season. let us just be people, and try to avoid the strident fear, categorization, objectification that are being generated. This can be done, and we can still keep our kids safe. Thank you. Lona

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is preaching to the choir, but it bears repeating that if someone want to be addressed with a certain name, with certain pronouns, then you do it, no matter what they look like or what sex you assume them to be. Many feel, and I agree, that there is no wrong way to be a woman or a man or an identity inbetween. You are who you are on the inside, regardless of what you may appear to be on the outside.
    So in less eloquent terms: that person who told you you had to transition in order to be recognized and legitimate can go f**k themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question that I hope won't be seen as offensive or hurtful...
    Please could you clarify what you mean when you say you identify as female?
    I guess one thing I wonder is, do people feel this way because society has taught them that females/males behave a certain way/like certain things/have certain feelings, or is there something more to it that would be there regardless of culture?
    For example; if our society accepted that it's fine/good for men to be sensitive, caring, to want to be at home with the kids, to enjoy shopping, deep conversations etc, & even that what you wear doesn't define your gender (look at some Middle Eastern cultures and what men wear there! Traditionally you won't see any trousers or shirt & ties!), would people feel differently about the gender they identify with?

    I hope my question makes sense, & again, I hope it doesn't cause offence or hurt. I am genuinely trying to understand as much as I can, not being in that position myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to explain. There is however a definite difference between gender expression (what society teaches us about how genders should act and look) and gender identity (the gender that I as a human identify with). For some reason, when I hear female or she I process that word as me, and male or he I process as someone else. It's a core identity issue that goes beyond mere gender expression, and for those who don't have gender dysphoria it is really hard to understand. That constant cognitive dissonance between who my mind keeps saying I am and what I look like is what causes so much pain as day after day I keep needing to correct my perception of myself. Frankly, we have no idea why or how this happens to people.

      However, a broader interpretation of gender expression would perhaps lessen the strain as more feminine actions or appearances wouldn't have to be rejected as not me.

      It wouldn't change my core identity however.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for responding. I'm still not sure I fully understand; I do feel like it would be easier on transgender people if we didn't insist on stereotyping gender roles. As you said, at the least it might lessen the strain of cognitive dissonance.

      Delete