Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Balance, Identity, and Authenticity



I've been thinking a lot about balance and identity lately. Specifically, on what it means to be authentic to oneself. Are we the person we internally feel like or are we better defined as the person others see us as? And who gets to help define us? God? Church? Family? Friends? Society as a whole? Each of these factors influence our identity to some degree. Are these influences better rejected, or do we become a better truer person by allowing others to help define us and our place in society? 

These are some of the questions that have been bouncing around in my mind lately. Now, I certainly don't claim to have any answers. But I thought a conversation might help me sort through some of the thoughts I have, and maybe help me find an answer or two.

Personally, I feel like authenticity is found in some combination of personal feelings and the feelings of others. I saw a great comment on a New York Times article recently. The comment made the claim that authenticity should "include social awareness, sensitivity to the feelings of others, and solid boundaries between what one chooses to keep private and what one makes public." Obviously what those boundaries and social awareness look like will vary greatly from person to person, but it provides a view of authenticity that includes both personal identity and societal influence. It is this very balance that I am trying to find in my life.

In my mind I see four areas that help define my identity. I am defined by my own personal sense of identity. I am defined by my relationship with Amy, specifically in being the person she sees and defines me as. I am defined by my relationship with God and the Church. Finally, I am defined by society as a whole (with priority placed upon how my relationships with my family and close friends define me). Each of these external relationships defines me just as much as I am able to define myself.

What I find so frustrating is trying to bring these definitions of who I am into balance. Can I be authentic to my internal identity while not destroying those parts of me defined by my very important external relationships? My identity and place in the Church is very important to me, my identity as a husband defines who I am, and the relationships I've had my entire life have shaped the person I am today. I don't know if I would really continue to be me, if I fundamentally changed these relationships. All of these relationships are very much defined by a male identity. How do I balance these definitions of who I am with an internal idea of myself that cringes at every male reference?

An example of this struggle to find balance can be found in the question of names. Names are really powerful symbols. Parents give children names hoping that their children will live up to an ancestral namesake or an expectation the name represents. After that moment a name rapidly becomes a symbol of who that individual is and that name carries all the hopes and dreams for that child. Names represent us and represent what roles we are expected to play in society. Names rapidly come to define who we are to those around us. Names have deep power and eternal significance.

Lately several different people have asked me about preferred names and pronouns. With gender dysphoria male roles, symbols, and expectations cause some degree of pain. The name Kyle feels like a weight I constantly carry around with me, because that name is attached to so many gendered roles and expectations. The pronoun 'he' sounds jarring when used to refer to me. But I'm defined by more than just an internal sense of identity, Amy, Church, and society as a whole have a part in defining who I am as well.

Would abandoning the name Kyle be an abandonment of my male roles, and a part of my identity? I had one friend tell me that if I ever asked to be called be a feminine name, as many trans people in my situation do, he would lose a great deal of respect for me, because he would see that action as an abandonment of my duties. In his mind I would be walking away from being a husband and a priesthood holder. In some ways I agree that changing my name would be a fundamental shift of my identity. I certainly don't want others to view me differently because they believe I've abandoned commitments I made, particularly the commitment of being a husband to Amy.

At church I am Brother Merkley. Is that painful? Yes. But, once again I made a covenant to be a priesthood holder. Brother Merkley represents those promises, and an identity as a male in the Church. This identity is very difficult. But if I am to live up to the promises I've made to a Church I fundamentally believe in, all I can do for now is to live up to those promises as best I can and await further revelation. 

At school I'm Mr. Merkley. Mr. Merkley represents safety, financial security, and social conformity. Sure, once again it hurts to go by a male title but the confrontation, confusion, and harassment that would occur should I try to change that name wouldn't ever be worth it. I despise conflict and don't want to cause any drama. Honestly, just being open about this issue on the internet caused more than enough trauma and anxiety for me this year at school.

So while Kylie may represent my internal identity better, Kyle represents my role as husband and the fact that I was born in a male body with many male experiences, Brother Merkley represents the fact that I have made covenants with God, including holding the priesthood, that are male experiences, and Mr. Merkley represents my desire to avoid conflict and socially conform. Each name is a symbol that represents a part of who I am. Perhaps a single name is not enough to fully represent me, I am all those names and more. Somewhere buried in all those symbols is me. 


How do I balance all these different parts that define who I am? Which parts of my identity ought to be most important? Is it even possible to find real balance, or am I trying to make everyone happy and leaving no one satisfied? I don't know, but I will continue my search for answers.

Sincerely,
me

9 comments:

  1. Thank you again, Kyle. I think you're doing an admirable job of not only striving for balance between competing influences but trying to be your best self. We often find ourselves with more questions than answers and the challenge is sometimes in deciding to just keep walking through the darkness until more light appears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I feel your pain in this, Kyle. Thank you for outlining and sharing your struggle. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kyle, I've been following your blog for some time as I'm also a transgender (post-)Mormon with very similar life experiences. I've had these same questions as you but since I no longer believe in the veracity of the LDS church I've come to some different conclusions.

    I totally respect your right to find the answers that work for you in this, but if you don't mind I'm going to play the devil's advocate for a second and point out what seems like some shaky foundations. Why should anyone's truth trump your own? In your relationship with your wife, would you ever expect your idea of who she is to surpass her ability to self-determine? Free agency is such a fundamental tenet of the gospel - why shouldn't it apply in your own life to be able to be authentic?

    When everything else is stripped away, all that remains is you. In my life, it's been my experience that my relationships with myself and others are healthiest when I self-determine and allow others to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great comment.

      No one should have the power to tell me what truths I should choose to believe, but I can (and do) choose to let other peoples thoughts influence my beliefs and more importantly my choices. I think my wife would agree that while we both self-determine to a degree, we are more importantly shaped by our influence on each other. She and I have fundamentally changed each other.

      I guess I wonder if it is even possible to strip everything away from a person and find their true selves. We are shaped by our environment and the people around us, and we in turn shape them. I guess I think there is a relationship between an individual and society that is much the same as the relationship in a marriage. Both parties can and should influence the other.

      To me the heart of the problem is that I am trying to embrace my identity as transgender while at the exact same time maintaining an identity as a devout Mormon. I don't want to choose one or the other. All of these paradoxes that arise from trying to do both are certainly frustrating, and I often feel frozen with indecision about how my life really should look in the end. But I want to balance both of those things. Is it possible? Still figuring that out. Where am I going? Still figuring that out as well.

      Thanks for commenting. I always appreciate others thoughts, particularly when they don't just parrot or agree with my own. It helps me wonder, and maybe someday I'll figure out what works best for me.

      Delete
    2. Good points, all, and I'm glad my comment didn't bother you.

      I agree that no one exists in a vacuum and that we are shaped by our various relationships. Nor do I think it advisable to make choices without considering the effects on others (my first comment came across as advocating too selfish a route in that respect).

      But in each of these different relationships there are constants throughout, right? To me those are the traits of my eternal self, that which persists. And my incongruent gender identity was one of those traits - I couldn't imagine being me with it being reversed (which was the only solution I saw possible in the Mormon belief system I adhered to at the time - that at some future point I'd be cured of my desire to be female).

      I came to the conclusion that it's impossible to reconcile what I felt with Mormonism unless I was willing to willfully turn away from my truth and be dishonest with myself. I didn't want to give up the church, either, and tried that for a long time, but I felt like it stunted my growth.

      I hope you can find more peace with making it work than I did, and I respect your space to choose for yourself what route you want to take. Thanks for the conversation!

      Delete
    3. I can relate to so much of what you just said. I do agree that I can't really imagine being myself without my feelings of gender, and I also agree that I have no idea how those feelings fit into any kind of eternal perspective. I have several Mormon trans friends who have come to a strong and vocal conclusion concerning their eternal identity (both as the gender they feel and the sex they were born as) and in both cases having a strong opinion seems to make things harder. I try not to worry about eternal answers, for me it only leads to confusion.

      I can understand the desire to not willfully turn away from truth and be dishonest with yourself. I hope that you have found the happiness and growth you were looking for.

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog today. I read all of it in one sitting. I'm a teacher an LDS parent of a gay daughter. Thank you! Thank you for your courage and your ability to convey your deeply personal struggles and thoughts.
    --john

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy the questions you propose. I like that you are willing to go against the norm in search of truth, whatever that may be. It's a very scary thing to search out truth because we may not be able to accept what we find.
    I've been thinking about the same questions. I wonder often how important it is for me to be authentic. Continuing as I am is painful for sure. I'm living a life similar to yours; I'm transgender and Mormon and married to a heterosexual woman that wishes desperately that I were a cisgender heterosexual person. Navigating the dichotomy between what others want, or maybe even need, me to be and what I am is tearing me apart. I believe you are right that who we are is defined partially by those around us. Our interactions and relationships with others define who we are. I've tried hard for many years to give others what they want and need. I often feel that it is better to do what others need because there are more of them than there are of me. I am only one person who benefits from me being authentic, but there are many people who benefit from being spared the pain of me transitioning. In particular I am speaking of my wife and children. I have three kids and they will lose much if I transition because my wife and I will get divorced. However, if I don't transition I will continue to live in excruciating and debilitating pain which means they lose out anyway. I'm really lost on what is best.
    The truth I know is that I am not male and nor am I female, I am a transgender woman. That doesn't mean I have to transition. That doesn't mean I have to be authentic to my personal self, but if I choose to not treat that part of my identity I will suffer for it. It is a personal choice I have to continue to make to intentionally destroy my own identity in hopes that others will be happier with the current identity they believe I have.
    Your questions help me to reevaluate the world around me. I am identified by all the things you mentioned; husband, father, priesthood holder, but it's all coming crashing down because those things leave no room for my personal identity. I wish, and hope, that those two opposing identities can coexist, but I haven't seen any notion that they can.
    I'm interested in how you reconcile those opposing identities in your own life. Thank you for sharing your life publicly and for posing thought provoking questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kylie, I am a non-transitioning male-to-female-transgender-Latter-day-saint-girl-priesthood-holder (since there are now at least three of us we deserve and acronym! That would be ntmtftgldsgph - say it ten time really fast.... The dysphoria hurts, but it would also hurt me to leave my church, and family, and those differing roles with very contrasting imperatives. I personally have seen nothing in my Latter-day Saint beliefs that tells me that I need to be definitively "cured" of being transgender someday, and now that I have found some things in the gospel (yes even that gospel as taught in my LDS milieu), that tell me that I don't have to do anything less than embrace who I am, as a transgender woman and child of God (I no longer want to be cured, but it is nice getting some help with the dysphoria). After many years of being ashamed of being transgender and hiding it from myself, I no longer have to cram it into the shame box. But transitioning would cause all those other wonderful dominos of family and covenants to fall down. Maybe that dynamic will change someday, but at this point it is simply reality for a devout Mormon. I think that sometimes choices in relation to competing roles are not always defined by a tenuous balancing act between different parts of ourselves, nor even necessarily on the parts of us that are made up of the influence of others on us. Sometimes, we simply make choices because we are actively trying to choose love. That can lead to different actions for each person, but I suspect, Kylie, that you have a lot of love at your core that causes you to seek the type of balance you are describing between roles with drastically competing imperatives. I am not saying that those who do transition are selfish, (sheesh! sometimes it hurts so bad that it seems inevitable to transition in order just to survive), very different objective decisions may be based on deep love as each person sees it. I read "somewhere" that it is God, and not man who looks on the heart, and that gives me no small degree of comfort. Unfortunately, it is often difficult to love without some degree of suffering, in fact it might be impossible. This is because having love causes us to care deeply enough that it can cause us pain when our choices that express our love stand in conflict to some other part of ourselves. God himself is familiar with this dynamic: Enoch saw him weep when he saw so many of his children hurt each other. Reconciliation and balance, may not always be possible here, but at least we can know that things are so hard exactly because we might be trying to act out of love. God Bless us everyone in this difficult task. Sorry fer bein so long winded. Hugs to ya Kylie!!! Lona

    ReplyDelete